[meteorite-list] Tucson Show, Party, Harvey Awards, Venue, etc.

From: mlblood_at_cox.net <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Dec 16 20:49:42 2004

Hi Geoff,
     First: Thanks to you and Steve Arnold (of Arkansas) for the
great dinners and awards of the past.
     Now, since you asked for feedback: Personally, I thought the
old place was great and still saw a few empty seats around the
room.
     However, if you are going to move - this sounds fine - but
can we all sign up for dinner and sit togeather? Any reason
why not? Then just move to the other room after dinner?
     If there isn't another resturant that will accommodate, that
seams reasonable.
     I did hate it at El Charro when we were all indifferent rooms.
     Where, exactly, is this place, anyway? (In reference to one
of the better known dealer's location).
     I am amazed no one else on the list has responded.
 Your bashes are clearly VERY popular!
     Thanks, again, Michael

> From: "Notkin" <geoking_at_notkin.net>
> Date: 2004/12/16 Thu PM 03:09:22 EST
> To: "Meteorite List" <meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
> Subject: [meteorite-list] Tucson Show, Party, Harvey Awards,
Venue, etc.

> Dear Listees:
>
> Greetings from sunny Tucson where it is a pleasant 61 degrees.
>
> I have today spoken with the manager of the Arizona Plaza
(formerly the
> Vagabond Inn; formerly the Ramada Inn University) in Tucson,
and he has
> confirmed that they WILL be open during the 2005 Tucson show,
although
> the long-term future of the hotel in uncertain. Show veterans will
know
> this hotel well, as it's been the home of Blaine Reed Meteorites
for
> many years. Thanks to Bill Mason for letting us know about this.
>
> Accommodation is available in the $100/night range, so if any of
you
> are having trouble finding rooms, this might be a good solution.
It's a
> bit pricey, but so are all hotels during showtime. The Arizona
Plaza is
> very well located for show events, and is definitely a fun place to
> stay. Contact me off-List if you need booking info.
>
> Regarding the Sixth Annual Meteor Mayhem Birthday Bash and
Harvey
> Awards:
>
> As previously posted, we will not be holding the 2005 party at the
La
> Fuente restaurant, which has been its home for the past three
years. As
> we now regularly have well over 100 guests, organizing a dinner
at La
> Fuente, or any restaurant, is problematic at best. Every year,
some of
> our guests have been unhappy with the food service; there were
problems
> with customers' checks, etc., and we don't want to deal with that
any
> more. My co-host Steve Arnold IMB and I are, therefore, planning
on
> moving away from a sit-down dinner situation to a more
> informal/fun/social event with bar service. To that end we are
> considering holding the 2005 party and Harvey Awards
ceremony in either
> the lounge bar or the ballroom of the Arizona Plaza.
>
> The event will take place on the evening of Friday, Feb. 4, 2005.
On
> the same night -- at 7 pm -- our good friends at AAPS ( the
Association
> of Applied Paleontological Sciences http://www.aaps.net ) will
be
> holding their annual charity auction and dinner in the adjacent
Mineral
> and Fossil Co-op. Many folks would like to attend the auction
AND the
> party, so we are considering having a slightly later start for the
> party (with the Harveys presented around 9 pm) so that those
who wish
> to have dinner with AAPS can do so, and then walk next door for
the
> Harvey Awards. Dinner at the AAPS event will be catered by fine
Italian
> restaurant The Barefoot Contessa, and is available to non-AAPS
members
> for a very reasonable fee (reservations are requested). It's likely
> be an excellent dinner and is always a most enjoyable event.
>
> Sorry for the overly-detailed post. I mention all of this here
because
> I'd like to get some feedback from those planning on attending
the
> party. Does this sound like a good solution? I'd appreciate some
> on-List comments, especially from those of you who have
attended the
> party and Harvey Awards in the past.
>
> We're trying to put together something that will work for
everyone!