[meteorite-list] Chiang Khan

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 17 04:48:48 2004

Hi Zelimir,

The "Catalogue" itself lists:

2588.4g UCLA
224.5g Bartoschewitz
189g New York Nat.Hist.
106g Washington U.S.Nat.Mus.
39g Paris Hist.Nat.
32g Du Pont
22g + 12.6g + 8.7g London, Nat.Hist.
18.2g Berlin, Humboldt-Univ.
14.82g Ottawa, Geol.Surv.
9g Tempe
7.7g Chicago, Field Mus.
5g Albuquerque Univ New Mex
2.4g Muenster Inst.f.Planetologie

Not mentioned there is a 2.5kg stone in the Chulalongkorn University,
Bangkok

Oliver Alge found on his 3 expeditions, which took together almost 1 year,
altogether 606g

The material confiscated after the fall from the laotic military is lost.

So we have without Haag's pieces already a tkw of ~6.4kg.

Nevertheless it stays extremely difficult to get
and for heaven's sake I invite the list members again to buy the remaining
pieces of Oliver,
as he needs the money to found his help project in the strewnfield of Chiang
Khan, where he plans to move to.
Especially the European members should consider to take their share on this
rare offer as the USD is weak as never before and the price with 37$ per
gram is quite low.

Meanwhile I made new photos of the remaining pieces and will email them on
request.
Some of the pieces are fresh like a Juancheng and not so brownish as it
seems on the pictures on Olivers page
http://www.meteorite-oliver.com/index.html

So if you NEED NEW PHOTOS, please E-mail.

The smallest cut is sold now, the 6.25g were Bernhard's specimen and this
week the 41.1g killeroriented was gone too (I send a photo of the back with
the rollover lip and the only partial molten surface to The Picture of the
day).

Remarkably from sice is the complete crusted stone of 70grams,
perhaps I should give it to captain Blood for the Tucson auction, as here in
Germany most collectors have no glimpse, that they won't get a similar
specimen anymore in their collectors life and the more experienced
collectors in USA seems to fear complications, if they would order from
another country, although it's fast, safe, easy and simple.

The 23.2g fragment is the ugliest piece, concerning stainings.

Extremely nice and fresh are the 12.2g broken individual and the 17.1g
individual, where only a small part is missing, both have very nice black
fusion crust.

If they'll be gone, they'll be gone.

Ask Mike Farmer, what he thinks about this price, I bet he never would give
away his two little specimens at such a low price.

May someone ask Rob Haag, wether and how much grams he owns in his
collection?
100% of the money will be used for the help project and for that purpose.

So let's go!
Martin