[meteorite-list] Greensburg Pallasite

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 25 14:26:31 2004

Hello List,

Since the List is very quiet today, here is a question a friend of mine sent
to me:
---------------
but I'm curious, what do you know about the ("fabled"?) Greensburg, KS,
meteorite, supposedly a pallasite? I see (from the internet) that the town claims
this as the "world's largest pallasite" (they usually mis-spell it pallisite),
though reliable sources rather say that Esquiel, Argentina (owned by Robert
Haag) has that honor. I don't have as a large a library of meteorite books as
I might, and my copy of your catalog is in my office (I of, course, am at
home, it being Christmas), and I haven't really been able to find anything on the
web reliable about the Greensburg KS meteorite, other than the promotional
material on web sites about the town, about how you can see this meteorite on
display in their local museum. Has it really been studied and catalogued, and is
it really a pallasite?

I am sure it has been discussed in the past, but then there may be new-comers
from Kansas who would be interested too.
All answers much appreciated.

Anne M. Black
http://www.impactika.com/
IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com