[meteorite-list] Greensburg Pallasite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 25 16:03:26 2004

Anne forwarded this to the List:

> I haven't really been able to find anything on
> the web reliable about the Greensburg KS meteorite,
> other than the promotional material on web sites
> about the town, about how you can see this meteorite
> on display in their local museum. Has it really been
> studied and catalogued, and is it really a pallasite?

This is none other than the famous B r e n h a m pallasite!

PECK ELLIS (1979) The Fate of a Kansas Meteorite
Crater (Sky & Telescope, August 1979, pp. 126-128):

The former towns of Brenham and Haviland, each only a crossroads now,
are near the farm, and each has given its name to part of the evidence
- Brenham to the meteorites, Haviland to the crater. Also, an unrelated
meteorite found nearby is named Haviland.

The largest of the Brenham meteorites, a half-ton specimen found after
Nininger finished there, is displayed in the municipal museum at Greensburg,
the Kiowa County seat. It is one of the largest pallasites in the world.

A 454.5 kilogram (1,002-pound) pallasite meteorite was discovered in 1948,
buried under 63 inches of soil (about 1.60 m) near Greensburg, Kansas.

Best Christmas
wishes,

Bernd