[meteorite-list] Fair Use...wasIt is ridiculous now.

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:28 2004

I am going to reverse myself a bit in regard to the use of the list to
"announce" these questionable auctions. I think if a list member is
contemplating acutally bidding on a particular auction, and they have
questions about authenticity, it is a good strategy to ask the list's
collective opinion. Seems to me "fair use" of this comunity.

I also agree these misidentified auctions on eBay are generating a lot
of drama and a lot of traffic which has to be deleated. (I wonder if
some of us don't actually beat our breast, gnash our teeth, and wear
sack cloth with fusion crusted ashes at the appearance of one of these
"sacreligious" auctions!)

If WE would let it work without interfering, let Ken continue his
effective approach to being our SOLE and /or IMCA ambassador to the rest
of the world. Seems he has been very successful in working with sellers
where the casual misidentification comes about and 99% of the time the
seler withdraws the auction. Al's idea of sending an invitation to join
one or more of the lists, addresses the issue of getting more folks into
the hobby. Sounds like something that could be tried. Doug's tretise
was pretty accurate yet we continue to gnash our e-teeth, and I agree
with most of what John said. They have said it the way it is and I
write this to only propose a compromise as to bringing the questionable
auctions to the attention of the list.

 I implore all, again, who are on the IMCA mailing list to keep ebay
meteorwrong discussion on that list. In some cases (e.g Galaxy, Slag,
Frass, Emerald, and the current Glassface) there is no practical remedy
for low level deliberate distortion and fraud. For whatever reason the
actual incidence of fraud in this hobby seems to be very low.

The fraud we used to see here was limited to individuals in Hong Kong
lifting vebage from websites and photos from auctions and selling
"virtual" meteorites. We complain the hobby isn't broad enough and then
when it gets broad enough for vultures to take advantage we we complain
that we can't control everything and everyone.

Thanks Gents for the perspective.

Sincerely,
Elton