[meteorite-list] Fw: Cleaning Rusty Chondrites

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:00 2004

On the same note..

 I recently bought a tin, of a type of microcrystalline wax polish
called 'Renaissance wax' it is used by the British Museum and others to
protect valuable antiquities and furniture, (and it is sold in the shops
(well uk at least?).

My question is has anyone ever tried applying this sort of
'microcrystalline protective wax' to the surface of a meteorite?=20

Well as an experiment, I have tried putting it on a fusion crusted
complete NWA individual, and it brought the dull brown fusion crust up
to a nice 'deeper & darker shiny luster, and seems to protect from
moisture (it repels water).

The wax is essentially like a normal furniture polish i.e apply and buff
off with a cloth, but it is white in colour and clean with no scent or
extra ingredients - just pure microcrystalline wax.

I also wonder if the same idea could be applied to irons as oil works
but needs replacing due to eventual evaporation.

Mark Ford

---
The information contained in this email may be commercially sensitive =
and/or
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it =
is
addressed. If you are not a named recipient, you are on notice of its =
status.
Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete =
this
message from your system. You must not disclose it to any other person,
copy or distribute it or use it for any purpose.