[meteorite-list] re: fragment of the recent spanish fireball found?

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:00 2004

Hello Jose,

Thanks for this newsitem (I also was pointed to it at about the same time by
Oscar Rodriguez). I agree with you that the object on the pictures looks
like it could be a meteorite fragment, for as far as can be judged from
these pictures. Let's see what the Spanish scientists will tell after
examination.

The find locality (Fuentes de Ropel, 42.0N 5.53W according to Oscar) is
somewhat odd though and difficult to reconsile with what is now thought to
be the trajectory's endpoint location. It is at least some 100 km and
possibly further away from this endpoint (in the Leon video the fireball
extinguishes well below the moon, which was at 22 degrees. If I take a
conservative 20 degrees for the endpoint (in reality, it probably is much
less) and a very low extinguishing altitude of 15 km, it still is 40 km to
the northeast of Leon, which makes it some 100 km from the coordinates given
above. In reality it was likely even somewhat further away from Leon). But
let's await more definite news on the find and fireball trajectory from the
Spanish. Nevertheless, if it is a meteorite fragment there's always the
remote possibility that it is from another fall and not the Jan 4 fireball,
since it appears to be a find.

By the way, for Spanish speakers timely info is to be found at the website
of the Spanish Photographic Meteor Network:

http://www.spmn.uji.es/ESP/novedades.html
and
http://www.spmn.uji.es/ESP/noveda38.html

...they (based on much more info than just the Leon video, if I understood
Josep Trigo of the SPMN correct) put the endpoint over the Leon- Burgos
department border, reasonably in line with my rough suggestion of
Asturia-Spanish Basque border based on the Leon video. They also mention a
probable endheight below 30 km. That sounds good!

- Marco

------
Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)