[meteorite-list] NPA 08-1837 Massachusetts Meteorite Fall?

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:00 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3D68C.144BBFE0

Paper: Republican Compiler
City: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Date: Tuesday, August 15, 1837
Page 2 (of 4)

METEORS
The Boston Daily Advertiser had a notice of a meteor which fell to the ea=
rth at East Bridgewater, Mass., on the 5th of May, between three and four=
 o'clock, P.M. It states that nine pieces of the stone were found, some o=
f them still warm, the largest weighing a quarter of a pound. The whole a=
ppeared vitrified, as if from rapid cooling. The outside is black, glazed=
 and shining, but within it is grey, and full of oval shaped cavities. Th=
e New York Journal of Commerce addes that on the 5th of July, a similar m=
eteor fell somewhere in Vermont or New Hampshire. Its great height may be=
 inferred from the fact that it was noticed at Mountpelier & various othe=
r places in New Hampshire; and at Newburyport in Massachusetts. At Northf=
ield, Vt., three reports were heard when it exploded - at Chelsea one, ab=
out three minutes after the explosion, and at Hardwick none. Its directio=
n seemed to be from East to West. The Portsmouth Journal thus describes i=
t:
METEOR. - We had a good forture to witness on Wednesday evening, at twili=
ght, the most brilliant meteor that we ever beheld. The meteor seemed to =
start from a cloud a little west of the zenith; it flashed along like a m=
ost brilliant rocket, and exploded about 30 degrees above the horizon, th=
rowing out as it burst an interense life of the most beautiful hues, the =
fragments falling like stars behind the clouds. A long and bright track w=
as left in the whole course of the meteor, which lasted some minutes, & w=
hich gradually extended in width & at last seeming to be rent by the wind=
, slowly faded away. It was noticed at Newburyport and at Brentwood at ab=
out the same time. We had been admiring fireworks of the night before, bu=
t this meteor so much resembling some, yet so much surpassing all those d=
isplays - seemed to flash as if in mockery of what man could do.

(Mark note: Meteorites A to Z does not show a meteorite having fallen at =
this time, although the description of the stone is somewhat convincing.)

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3D68C.144BBFE0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D1=
><FONT size=3D2> <P><STRONG>Paper: Republican Compiler</STRONG></P> <P><S=
TRONG>City: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania</STRONG></P> <P><STRONG>Date: Tuesda=
y, August 15, 1837</STRONG></P> <P><STRONG>Page 2 (of 4)</STRONG></P> <P>=
&nbsp;</P> <P>METEORS</P> <P>The Boston Daily Advertiser had a notice of =
a meteor which fell to the earth at East Bridgewater, Mass., on the 5th o=
f May, between three and four o'clock, P.M. It states that nine pieces of=
 the stone were found, some of them still warm, the largest weighing a qu=
arter of a pound. The whole appeared vitrified, as if from rapid cooling.=
 The outside is black, glazed and shining, but within it is grey, and ful=
l of oval shaped cavities. The New York Journal of Commerce addes that on=
 the 5th of July, a similar meteor fell somewhere in Vermont or New Hamps=
hire. Its great height may be inferred from the fact that it was noticed =
at Mountpelier &amp; various other places in New Hampshire; and at Newbur=
yport in Massachusetts. At Northfield, Vt., three reports were heard when=
 it exploded - at Chelsea one, about three minutes after the explosion, a=
nd at Hardwick none. Its direction seemed to be from East to West. The Po=
rtsmouth Journal thus describes it:</P> <P>METEOR. - We had a good fortur=
e to witness on Wednesday evening, at twilight, the most brilliant meteor=
 that we ever beheld. The meteor seemed to start from a cloud a little we=
st of the zenith; it flashed along like a most brilliant rocket, and expl=
oded about 30 degrees above the horizon, throwing out as it burst an inte=
rense life of the most beautiful hues, the fragments falling like stars b=
ehind the clouds. A long and bright track was left in the whole course of=
 the meteor, which lasted some minutes, &amp; which gradually extended in=
 width &amp; at last seeming to be rent by the wind, slowly faded away. I=
t was noticed at Newburyport and at Brentwood at about the same time. We =
had been admiring fireworks of the night before, but this meteor so much =
resembling some, yet so much surpassing all those displays - seemed to fl=
ash as if in mockery of what man could do.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>(Mark not=
e: Meteorites A to Z does not show a meteorite having fallen at this time=
, although the description of the stone is somewhat convincing.)</P> <P><=
/FONT></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-l=
ine archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3D68C.144BBFE0--