[meteorite-list] Skylad Astronaut, Ed Gibson, on Micrometeorite Damage

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 29 10:06:33 2004

Hello list,

I recently corresponded with former astronaut Ed Gibson, was the
science-pilot on Skylab 4, the third and final manned flight to the Skylab
space station (November 16, 1973 to February 8, 1974). Gibson was kind
enough to answer a few questions for me. For your convenience I have put my
question, and followed it by Gibson's answers, below.

Mark: Did any meteorite damage happen during the SL-4 flight?

Ed Gibson: We had no damage of consequence to Skylab. Don Lind, also an
astronaut, had a micrometeoroid collection device outside Skylab for the
duration of all three missions. Refer to Don for the results.

Mark: It is my understanding that micrometeorites form little craters when
impactite the ship. Have you ever felt any of these impacts and did you see
any damage on the space craft after you landed?

Ed Gibson: No, we did not see any pits. Of course, we did not examine the
Command Module like the engineers did. After a re-entry, though, it would
be difficult to see small impacts. A Shuttle flight did have a pit in its
front window from a collision with a paint chip.

Mark: Is there any special tools NASA sends with astronauts, or special
training you where given in the case a meteorite should strike and heavily
damage a craft while in use?

Ed Gibson: On Skylab, we had "circular blister patches" of many different
sizes (3" to about 10" as I remember) to cover any hole that a meteoroid hit
would have made. They were flat for about the outer 1/4 with a thick putty
to act as a sealer. The center was bowed inward into the pressure side to
avoid any rough edges of the hole. We trained on what to do if we had a hit
or a rapid-pressure drop (head for the Command Module first then work our
way back into the station to find the source of the leak.

(end)

I will try to return to posting some of the Nininger-Smithsonian letters
soon. Haven't been feeling well this last week.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com