[meteorite-list] Need help picking a metal detector.

From: minador <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 5 01:15:45 2004

Hi List,

I'm in need for a second detector. Recently I have been using my dad's
White's GMT. It seems to do pretty well. I've found 4 little ones with it
(although they were on the surface). I've seen the Fisher Gold Bug do well
at finding some buried ones and it always sounds off nicely (better than
GMT). The Minelab that I have used over the years for gold prospecting
doesn't cut it with respect to chondrites. It gives a poor yelp (IF it's
about 1" away from a stony). If it's any further away there's no indication
whatsoever, so I need something else.

I have been thinking of getting a Fisher Gold Bug-2. Does anybody have any
comments about this machine? I'm wondering if any of the "improvements" are
detrimental to meteorite hunting (although good for nugget hunting). Is an
original Gold Bug better? I like the GMT, but I want something with a
different frequency so I can hunt along side with my dad. The GMT is really
a pleasure to use.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Feel free to contact me off list if
you don't want to tie up the list, or don't want to publicly share your
ideas which may be "controversial". Lot's of ducks on this list (if I got
that phrase right).

Happy hunting/collecting!

Mark

Mark A. Bowling