[meteorite-list] Need help picking a metal detector.

From: goldmaster <goldmaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 6 14:05:59 2004

Hi Mark and All

The use of an autoground balance metal detector for stones is generally
fruitless . The GMT has manual ground balance capabilities and is best to
hunt in that mode . I think the detectors of choice for hunting low iron
stones would be the manual ground balance gold machines . I think the best
bang for the buck is the goldmaster series . My preference is the GM3 . The
GM3 and GM4 are the same detector . The only real difference is the GM4 has
a touch pad display and the box on most is not removable from the wand .
Making a lot of extra work on your arm on a full day of beepin . The
goldmaster 2, Vsat and GM3 have similar sensetivity and features . The GM3
and has a variable frequency which will allow you to litterally hunt between
the legs of the person using other goldmaster products with litterally no
interferance . They all are capable of having the boxes removed and harnes
or belt mounted . They all except the very early goldmaster 2 models are
capable of useing the larger seirra goldmax coil . The old style goldmaster
2 has a 1/4 inch coil bolt and will require an upgraded wand to accomidate
the seirra goldmax coil that takes a 3/8 inch coil bolt . Allowing a larger
sweep and deeper detection depth . I have used the gold bug 2 and found it's
higher frequency more unstable in more mineralized ground . Especially in
and around the basalts you are hunting . But it's still a good detector for
hunting stones just a bit noisier . I think all of these detectors can be
found for under $300 dollars used . The goldbug 2 also has a large coil
available . On a final note the area you are hunting the vast majority of
finds are on the surface or very shallow . So depth isn't that much of a
factor more ground coverage will lead to better results !! Happy Hunting
John Blennert