[meteorite-list] Meteorite Market 101

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 12 01:57:16 2004

------------ Original Message ------------
[meteorite-list] Meteorite Market 101
MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 17:30:20 EDT 2004

Hi Rob [Matson],

Thanks for the welcome ... I am glad friends are still
allowed to have different opinions and still be
friends ... on the meteorite list. In your most
courteous reply I understand two potential objections
for discussion:

1. The relevance it has to the concrete situation
concerning our own intrepid Bob Verish.

In my case I could say I am probably far more ignorant
than you to what started this issue. My answer had
absolutely nothing to do with the concrete case you
mention as I still haven't even read it, still don't
know who the other seller is, silent auctions, or how
much, etc. What I can say is that I have been
repeatedly impressed by the efforts of Bob and hope
that destiny is very kind to Bob for his spirited and
tireless contributions.

I was specifically responding to and concerned with
the comments of our chief economy columnist, who
chose to define list ethics, and dismiss a very
reasonable objection by another listmember, and same
who has shamelessly insulted many, including yours
truly.

2. Whether the price is affected significantly.

Here I am a bit unclear regarding your logic, though
you clearly seem concerned that justice happens. I
would add to my comments that if you increase
supply, the "law of supply and demand" cause the price
to go down for price elastic materials which are
discretionary (though this discretionary nature is
debatable among some anomalies). Supply and demand
don't care how the price equilibrium is reached, so I
don't see how an auction vs. "fixed price" changes the
product being sold. Cold economic theory on the
contrary provides for everyone to come out of the
woodwork with their offerings once they are convinced
that their price might be met ... and the information
available to consumers you mention is this list itself
which is a public forum not intended to favor sellers
over buyers, last time I checked.

Also,
3. You mentioned the concept of an "ethical business
decision". I am not convinced that ethics is driving
these type of generalized business decision supported
in Michael's treatise. But rather than open a can of
worms for myself that could enhance an already losing
game theory proposition for me ... I'll agree to leave
it at simply a "business decision" and leave all
reference to ethics out ... especially good ethics.

Saludos, Doug
-------- End of Original Message --------

So, you really think I'm "intrepid"?

;-))