[meteorite-list] Sharklike Acrimonious Humo(u)r 101

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 12 09:25:06 2004

Hello Dave and list,

I guess it was about time for a little argument on the list. Since I am bored this saturday morning I will reply.

Dave wrote: "but I think the reply Doug gave him was quite uncalled for. "F_rting" and "a__hole" and the such."

I remember Doug (now) from Tucson. When I was sick Doug showed general concern and tried to be helpful to me. So Doug's e-mail did kind of surprise me. However, we did see Gregory send an uncalled for e-mail first. So I think it is more honest to condemn them both. It is unusual to just condemn the person who tossed the second punch.

"Maybe Gregory's sarcastic point was, that some of us don't really like to feel belittled by a bunch of "Techno-babble"..."

Perhaps Gregory's sarcastic remark, (I didn't see no point in the Hippos comment), was as you suggested. A lack of desire for "Techno-babble". Gregory you know is a lawyer, so one would think he would be accustomed to "techno-babble". I would have rather have seen Gregory argue against one of the points Doug made. This is to some degree a scientific forum, one would think a techno e-mail would be acceptable. Personally I found it interesting and somewhat courageous....if only a little passive aggressive. He did present a different point of view then that of Michael Blood, something most would likely shy away from because of the position he has in our community.

Having said all of that I am impressed with Doug's ability to speak and type in English. My ability in his language is limited to words I had no choice but to learn during the times I have been in Mexico. Like "Alto", it is on all the stop signs. I also see no comparison with Doug and the old J. Warren (who has been a pretty decent person the last six months).

And I have also met Gregory a couple times. In person he seems intelligent and rational. I think in the past I have agreed with 80% or more of his postings.

I don't think Gregory or Doug was meaning to feed the ducks.

It may be of interest to note, that I did agree with Michael. That the Los Angeles offers should have waited, as that is more standard business practice in this hobby. We are not completely cut throat people....yet. But I must also agree with Doug. A set price sale and a silent auction, is unlikely to affect each other. It is also hard to see that Vernish lost anything in such action, since he controls all the material and any piece sold or traded, came from his hands.
Mark