[meteorite-list] OT Meteorite eBay Bidding Comment OT

From: MarkF <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 13 15:02:52 2004

Hi Nick & List
I agree Nick and heres my thoughts.
There is a venue(s) which will extend an auction if a bid is received in the
last few seconds...its purely a profit driven tool.
Basically, only a handful of venues are supported by most sniping
software...to many differences and sudden changes to support all of them I
think (even though the number has dropped over the years as ebay drives them
out of the market).
Are you against a sniping tool because you might get out bid and not have
time to place a new bid?

Or, are you against a sniping tool because it doesn't allow for true auction
activities, where an auction could go on for a long time as a last minute
bid war develops (I actually like watching them, but thats another story).
Even though, in a real auction, the auctioneer actually controls the end of
the auction, not the bidders, and once the gravel hits the podium, the
auction is over unless shill bidding can be proven.

Would you rather see anti-snipe tactics such as a couple venues use, which
will allow for more bidding and the end of the auction gets extend for each
bid placed within some time of end of the auction. This, by the way, is a
profit driven tool and has no fair advantage for the buyer since it plays on
the ego and lets one bid and bid until one bidder finally stops because the
amount is just way over what the item is worth and he or she finally comes
to their senses. This still happens on ebay anyway (bidding wars) even
though an auction has a fixed ending time. So, sniping really doesn't factor
in as much of an issue.

I learned a long time ago that there is always someone bigger than me just
around the corner. I could be a multi-millionaire and there would be a Bill
Gates out there waiting on me to make my move.

MarkF