[meteorite-list] New Zealand fall

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 14 19:38:46 2004

Hi Mike and List,

> I have spoken to the owner and made a large offer on the stone. I
sincerely hope that
> whoever acquires that stone DOES NOT cut it up or damage it in any way. It
appears
> to be an ordinary chondrite with a extraordinary shape. Oriented pieces
like this,
> especially a fresh pristine fall that went through a house should NOT be
cut up.
> If I get the stone I will not cut one microgram from it, that would be a
tragedy to
> desecrate such a piece.

It should be possible to take at least a core sample of the stone, leaving a
fusion
crusted "plug" to cover the hole. In this way, the stone can be studied by
scientists without detracting from its aesthetics. Even if it's just an
ordinary
chondrite, the fact that it is a documented fresh fall is rare, and
therefore
scientifically important. Short-lived isotopes may provide information
about
cosmic lifetime, for example.

> We as collectors, don't really all need to have a tiny piece do we?

With the exception of providing a sample (as unobtrusively as possible) to
scientists, I quite agree that the stone deserves to stay intact. --Rob