AW: [meteorite-list] Possible Sahara 03500 Paired stone

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 24 03:19:43 2004

Dear Steven, Michel and Doug,

This is a fairly good picture of the meteorite. I looks to me like a chondrule-poor portion of an ordinary chondrite (L or LL), for example like Ramsdorf (L6-S5), which has large portions without any chondrules as well as the typical chondrule-bearing material (the latter is rare in Ramsdorf). I have also seem such kind of material as clasts in LL chondrites, which sometimes can be cm-size. Keep in mind that some ordinary chondrites don't show any chondrules due to high metamorphism or impact melting.

Regarding high-K values due to terrestrial contamination: If this was the case with this stone, it should be reflected also in high levels of other minor and trace elements such as Na, Ba and Sr.

There is a nice publication o K-rich lithologies in ordinary chondrites (i.e. Acfer 066, Acfer 160, HaH 060, Adzhi-Bogdo, Jelica, or Krahenberg (all LL chondrites):

Mineralogy and chemical composition of K-rich lithology, A.Jaeckel and A.Bischoff, MAPS, 1997, 32, p.A66 (abs.); see also, MAPS, 1998, 33, p.A77 (abs.)

Best regards,
J?rn
Joern Koblitz
MetBase Editor
The MetBase Library of Meteoritics and Planetary Sciences
Benquestrasse 27
D-28209 Bremen, Germany
phone: +49 421 24 100 24
fax: +49 421 168 2799