[meteorite-list] paper About Tunguska Event Impactor

From: Jeff Kuyken <jeff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 24 03:45:30 2004

G'day Paul & List,

>They estimated that the mass of either the comet or carbonaceous asteroid was as large as 103-106 tons.

I find this intriguing as I would have thought that this mass would be no where near large enough to do the damage which was observed at Tunguska. Does a comet/carb asteroid have more energy than an iron asteroid and would it also depend on where or if the mass detonated? I'd be interested to hear opinions on this.

Cheers,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085
www.meteorites.com.au