[meteorite-list] (Retro) Back On The List In 1998

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:09 2004

Hi list,

I thought I might try this out. If I could get into an older system I might be able to

dig up info a little older. Back on the list in 1998 some of the topics covered were:

DAG 400 was selling for $20,000 a gram. It was only the second one on the market for
collectors to buy. (At this time was considered quite a bargain.)

Stolen Michigan Meteorite a Canyon Diablo was recovered by a US dealer who was on the
lookout. The thief attempted to sell the specimen to him.

Portales Valley that fell in June of that year was being offered for $20.00 gram with
metal rich veins.

A dealer was offering a blowout on meteorites sell. (and still is today :-)

Mars Cubes some 5,000 had been sold. The dust was painstakingly separated out so only
small fragments remained in the cubes so they wouldn't cloud over.

Ron Baalke was giving a Stardust update.

A Greenland Meteorite Hunt from a Fall last December (1997) turned up some dust
samples.

Bernd Pauli Talked about maps of Georgia tektite finds

Someone asking about any true Meteorite Hunters out there.

--AL