[meteorite-list] MARS NEWS

From: STUARTATK_at_aol.com <STUARTATK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:45 2004

--part1_1d0.1aee8e30.2d76299c_boundary

dfreeman_at_fascination.com writes:

> So, what's the Mars news that is so secret, Stromatolites? Banded Irons?
> Frozen water? Who knows sompthin?

Take a wander over to the Forums (specifically Unmanned Probes / Spirit &
Opportunity 1 / 2 / 3 & 4 ) at www.newmars.com, where we're having a fine old
time discussing this very puzzle...! ;-)

For what it's worth, my money is on NASA announcing the discovery of
brine-rich water beneath the surface of Meridiani, the landing site of the second
rover, Opportunity. The rover has been "digging" some trenches with its wheels,
uncovering fascinating structure in the disturbed material, and many people have
interpreted what they've seen as evidence that the subsurface material there
is clumping and glooping together like wet sand because it actually IS wet...
but we'll know more later. In the meantime, feel free to look in on us at
newmars, you'll be very welcome :-)

Stu

--part1_1d0.1aee8e30.2d76299c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 02/03/2004 18:03=
:08 GMT Standard Time, dfreeman_at_fascination.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">So, what's the Mars news that i=
s so secret, Stromatolites? Banded Irons? <BR>
Frozen water?&nbsp; Who knows sompthin?<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Take a wander over to the Forums (specifically Unmanned Probes / Spirit &amp=
; Opportunity 1 / 2 / 3 &amp; 4 ) at <A HREF=3D"www.newmars.com">www.newmars=
.com</A>, where we're having a fine old time discussing this very puzzle...!=
 ;-)<BR>
<BR>
For what it's worth, my money is on NASA announcing the discovery of brine-r=
ich water beneath the surface of Meridiani, the landing site of the second r=
over, Opportunity. The rover has been "digging" some trenches with its wheel=
s, uncovering fascinating structure in the disturbed material, and many peop=
le have interpreted what they've seen as evidence that the subsurface materi=
al there is clumping and glooping together like wet sand because it actually=
 IS wet... but we'll know more later. In the meantime, feel free to look in=20=
on us at newmars, you'll be very welcome :-)<BR>
<BR>
Stu</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1d0.1aee8e30.2d76299c_boundary--