[meteorite-list] [meteorite-list]"Thomas Structure"

From: moni waiblinger-seabridge <moni2555_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:47 2004

Hi List,

on this beautiful Sunday here in Sacramento, but too far away from the
Mojave desert! :-(
I went walking at the Gym instead!
While walking on the treadmill, I read this great informative article by
Kevin Kichinka in the Meteorite magazine.
A Rose by any other name... explained that William Thomas was the first man
to discover the so called Widmanstätten pattern in 1804.
Very interesting to read!
part of the article....Thomas... Structure, that name was proposed by John
G. Burke, author of COSMIC DEBRIS, the definitive book of meteoritical
history. Burke gives Thomas complete credit for the discovery.
Hap McSween, a former President of the Meteoritical Society, was unaware of
the discrepancy, but advises that he will now credit Tomas with the
discovery in any future editions of Meteorites and their Parent Planets.

Thank you Kevin for the article and teaching me something new.

Made up for not going meteorite searching, well, almost! :-) Moni