[meteorite-list] RE: Not a happy 'Campo'

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:50 2004

Rob,

Methylated spirits has 'Pyridine' added to stop people drinking it. This =
has exactly the same boiling point as ethanol (allotropic) so apart from =
the water content, methylated spirits evaporate and leave no residue.

Over here (UK) Methylated spirits is much cheaper than Isopropanol, I =
guess it doesn't matter what alcohol you use as long as the Sodium =
Hydroxide dissolves in it. As you say you likely need a small water =
content to help with NaOH solubility. Methylated spirits has some water =
in it, so takes up some sodium hydroxide. - hey it works for me!

Best,
Mark Ford