[meteorite-list] Water in ethanol (cutting meteorites)

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:50 2004

Hi Stan and List,

Stan wrote:

> ... I would be more worried not about the denaturing agents
> used to make alcohol non suitable for human consumption, but
> rather the fact that most 'consumer' grade denatured alcohol
> contains a fair bit of water, anywhere from 1 to maybe 10%.
> If you are trying to conserve a meteorite, your best bet
> would be to call a local chemcial supply house, and purchase
> 'ACS' grade solvents. ACS grade has a maximum limit of .05%
> water content.

I'm not too worried about the water -- ethanol and water are
azeotropic at or above 190 proof (95% ethanol), so it will get
cooked off with the alcohol in the oven. What I'm not so sure
about are the boiling points of all the denaturants. Acetone
and gasoline have low boiling points, so they shouldn't be
a problem.

> Presumably if it's worth conserving, it's worth spending
> 20$ / gallon on the 'good stuff'

I think it's a bit more than that -- more like $35/gallon.
The federal tax alone is $27/gallon. --Rob