[meteorite-list] Collectors and dealers.

From: Jeannie Devon <musnat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:57 2004

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C416A7.A60017F0

Hi Mike,

I sell meteorites in my store and my husband always kids me that it's =
only to support my own habit! I would not really call myself a =
meteorite "dealer" in the true sense of the word, but rather a meteorite =
retailer! Whenever I buy several of the same fall, I can never really =
bear to part with all of them and one or two end up "disappearing" into =
my personal collection. Some of my favorites are a gorgeous half stone =
of Camel Donga, a Sikhote Alin shaped just like a bullet, a small but =
fantastic piece of Willamette, and a 125 pound Gibeon with a huge cavity =
in it the size of a grapefruit that they will have to pry from my cold =
dead hands! : ) That one is currently at a local childrens' science =
museum on loan because I felt too guilty about keeping it all to myself!

And of course I have several meteorites that were given to me as gifts =
from very special people which I would not part with for anything!

I have found that the best part about being a buyer/seller/collector is =
that you may think you have the perfect sample of some particular =
meteorite so you keep it in your collection. Then, you come across one =
that is even better, so you sell the other one and upgrade your sample. =
After a while the size of your collection doesn't increase as quickly, =
but its quality and your appreciation for it increases. As a matter of =
fact, I recently purchased a nice end cut of Toluca from you which will =
upgrade my current piece. So I will sell my old one, and so on and so =
on.

I think that some dealers end up having to think too much about their =
bottom line, and what other dealers are doing, and they don't have the =
luxury of just plain loving a meteorite for what it is. I am glad that =
meteorites are not my bread and butter. I don't feel compelled to =
attach a dollar figure to them, and I think that collecting helps keep =
me in touch with what I love about them. I hope you enjoy being a =
dealer, and don't stop collecting what you love!

Regards,
Jeannie
www.thenaturesource.com
Anchorage, Alaska