[meteorite-list] Sheath

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 2 02:35:17 2004

Hi, Mark, Everybody

    It's true that the silica dust in white powder sand can cause silicosis if
you inhale enough of it. Washing the sand before using it eliminates the risk.
Playgrounds with white sand playboxes are only a hazard in areas without
frequent rainfall; the rain quickly washes the dust down to the soil level, thus
immobilizing it if the soil stays damp. So the sandbox is OK in Illinois (45
inches of rain per year) but maybe not so hot in Arizona. (Isn't the whole state
pretty much a sandbox?)
    I didn't mean to imply that there aren't hidden risks in all kinds of common
and uncommon materials, though. I bought some mother of pearl pieces to make a
guitar nut and saddle, and the information sheet on the risks of exposure to
pearl dust that came with them frankly scared me right out of trying to work
them.
    And, lastly, does this mean I have to stop nibbling the bait as I fish?! Is
nothing sacred?

Sterling K. Webb