AW: [meteorite-list] meteorite prices

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 12:14:42 2004

Certainly, there are many more ordinary chondrites (OCs) from the hot desert and rare types like achondrite probably make up just one or two percent of it...

...but, considering the fairly high prices for the rare types and the limited spending capacity of this market segment (collectors as well as museums/research institutes), my impression is, that OCs are easily sold in "tons" at price levels of 50 to 100$/kg, wereas the rare stuff is being sold on a gram or even milligram scale.

Wouldn't it take a very long time, to get all the howardites, polymict eucrites, rumurutiites, martian meteorites (considering alone the TKWs of DaG 476 or SaU 005 and pairings) hiding in the back rooms of Moroccan and non-Moroccan dealers?

I assume, that the prices for OCs - especially those with nice shapes or fairly unweathered interior - will rise soon, whereas most of the rare types will stay at high level or will even decline.

Any objections?

Cheers,
J?rn