[meteorite-list] STOLEN NWA #s

From: Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 16 11:21:51 2004

This is out of control.
I got an email from a very nice guy and well known dealer today. He was
selling meteorites for someone else (meaning he is not pulling the scam, but
someone is), and included are two meteorites (actually 3) that are MY
METEORITES.
90% of each of them are sitting here in my safe, and yet someone else seems
to think that they have pairings to them.
I am confused since these meteorites were mine, I bought them, I had them
classified, and the NWA #s are for my pieces!
These meteorites are:
NWA 1906. An interesting brecciated R4 bought in 2003. A single stone
weighing 560 grams. This one is very distinct from the other R chondrites.
While NWA 753 is everywhere, I have never seen one like this, and the person
is selling an individual, so I am confused how they come to the conclusion
that it is paired with mine?

Second is NWA 2085.
This is the impact-melt breccia that rivals Cat Mountain! Uof A is working
on a complete comparison of this with CM.
This is a one of a kind meteorite, I have NEVER seen an NWA that could touch
this one's rust!
Again, the piece being offered is an individual, NO chance to even have a
clue until it was cut!

Third is NWA 1929. We have all discussed this one, and there are more like
it so it is the least of my concern.

Let's get something clear.
I have no problem with pairing obviously paired meteorites, I think we
should, but pairing things since they might "look like them" on the
exterior. A paired Mars rock is less problem for me than these pairings,
since a Martian is pretty hard to scam on, but a chondrite, can be lumped by
lazy dealers not wanting to pay the money or spend the time doing the work.

I saw this email this morning from the dealer and am now furious.
NO ONE has seen an NWA impact melt breccia like NWA 2085.
I would love to see another one, but have not.
Now someone is trying to pawn a piece as my meteorite.
I will let them make this right before I publicly reveal the dealer, they
can correct this, since these are my meteorite numbers, and they belong to
meteorites sitting in my safe, and anyone trying to pawn meteorites under
those numbers is doing nothing more than stealing, and pulling a scam.

Michael Farmer
http://www.meteoriteguy.com/nwa20851.jpg.JPG

The photo above is NWA 2085. Now that is a meteorite to drool over!