AW: AW: [meteorite-list] Most important meteorite?

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 16 11:23:14 2004

Dear Martin,

No one can argue against personal views.

ALH 84001 is a very interesting meteorite for sure. But it remains highly subjective and is biased by temporary fashion or even hype. I think, ALH 84001 is a good example for such a hype. A group reports evidence for extraterrestrial life with much public noise (I assume also with the background idea to booster public funding for NASA). There are strong arguments by other research groups against a biogenic origin of these fossil-like features. As far as I know, there majority of scientists currently disapprove. About 40 years ago, another group around Bartholomew Nagy announced the recovery of extraterrestrial lifeforms in carbonaceous chondrites (see e.g. http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/O/Orgueil.html). There was much hype at that time about these findings and some people for sure would have called Orgueil the most important meteorite in history.

For the development of meteoritics and in historical perspective, I still think that CURRENTLY Allende has the by far strongest impact. Some meteoriticists are talking about a "pre-Allende" and a "post-Allende" era. Allende has contributed so much to the our understanding of the origin and development of the solar system.

J?rn