[meteorite-list] Another fake name, serious business

From: minador <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 17 02:01:04 2004

I agree with Mike and Adam on this one.

I'm a new collector, and I certainly don't want to be sold something that
isn't as advertised. I don't mind buying unclassified stuff, etc. but I
want to be told (so I don't propagate any errors). I think it's an honest
mistake on Marcin's part, but dealers need to be sure what they're selling,
and believing a Moroccan doesn't cut it in my eyes. I think when you're
sold something with a number, you need to inquire as to where it received
that number. Maybe it's something they submitted or maybe it's something
they traded from the person who got the number. If you got it from a hippie
selling strange etching potions, you should probably get your own number or
use none.

Should the IMCA work on some kind of rules or guidelines for dealers to work
from? I think that the dealers who put a lot of time and money into their
material should push for this. It could make things easier for them in the
long run. A solution may be slow in coming, but I think it's something that
should be attempted sooner rather than later.

As for the collectors, caveat emptor - know your buyer or just buy with
little faith if you like what you see (and make sure you disclose those
concerns when parting with that material). I don't mind buying admitted
questionable material at a good price if it brings me some satisfaction. We
all just need to do our part to keep things on the up and up.

As for Mike bringing up the subject publicly before contacting the dealer, I
think it's great if it saves me from making a bad purchase. Sure, I can get
a refund, but it saves me time and hassle in the long run. In this
instance, I think Mike did the right thing. Thanks! Wow, I agreed with
Mike... ;-)

Mark Bowling
Vail, AZ