[meteorite-list] Main Mass

From: kenoneill_at_kenoneill.com <kenoneill_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 18 08:29:42 2004

Hi Ken,

I know you didn't wish to argue the point however it is an interesting point
of view and maybe others may wish to comment.

I have seen ad's for slices, fragments etc., were it is quoted "cut from
main mass", under your definition these main masses concerned would now be
"missing" ?

If you find a single stone and cut it for classification does the largest
remaining piece become the main mass or has the main mass already become
"missing"? Then if the remaining largest piece is the main mass, in order to
remain considered the main mass it must never be cut?

If I purchase the second largest specimen of a fall and the largest piece
goes to another collector or dealer who at a later date cuts his piece
making mine the new main mass, how am I ever to know I now have the main
mass ?

With dealers having differing opinions on what is considered the main mass,
when I purchase a main mass am I only actually purchasing a possible main
mass ? What does this mean for the value of that piece as main masses do
have a higher value on the market.

Just as Nomcom gave a definition of pairings should there be a universal
definition of main mass ?

Should there be a main registry for main masses where any change of
ownership or change of mass size (any change)is noted ?

Just as in pairings where market values of materials are effected by
classification market values too are increased by the tag "main mass".

I have main masses in my collection, or have I ?

Any thoughts ?

Regards

Ken O'Neill