[meteorite-list] Meteorite numbers

From: John Birdsell <birdsell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 21 11:32:53 2004

Hi Matt and list. I'm not an expert on the topic, but I think that part
of the problem may also be that meteorites such as those belonging to
the HED group are quite heterogeneous. If one sample contains a slightly
higher diogenite component it may come back as a howardite while a
sample with a lower diogenite component may come back as a eucrite. I
would imagine that two samples from the same stone could conceivably
come back with a different classification. If anyone can comment on this
and correct me if I'm wrong I would appreciate it!

Cheers

-John