[meteorite-list] My Eyes Are Glazing Over- Need "Scorecard"

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Nov 22 11:56:42 2004

Yes but even reputable dealers buy rocks from other people/collectors,
the 'reliable' dealers buy collections and sell pieces, presumably
without 'submitting it', naturally they would just go with what the
labels that came with them say...

It's simply not practical to test everything.

If you don't know the dealer personally, and exactly where (S)he got the
stuff, then you owe it to yourself to have it checked, that's my
philosophy! (That way dodgy material would soon be picked up).

Example : I had to laugh, on the back page of the current issue of
Meteorite, is an advert for a complete SAU 130 Martian individual,
completely uncut 100% crusted, they even advertised the fact that it
hadn't been sampled! - So the old question applies - How can it be
100% Sau 130?