[meteorite-list] slabbed meteorites

From: joseph_town_at_att.net <joseph_town_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 23 13:06:12 2004

Hi all,

I sure could have worded that post better. I meant to say, I think it would be very profitable if a dealer or a consortium of dealers, collectors and scientists could get together and slab meteorites. It would solve a lot of the arguments regarding authenticity, if the people in charge were of the highest integrity and qualifications of course. Slabbed and sealed specimens with a database like
PSA has for sports cards would set a high standard and there would be no
questions about numbers. The specimens would be forever documented in a data base like PSA does and preserved in air tight containers. Provenance could also be preserved. I don't think the type of grading that companies like PSA do would be possible with meteorites but you would know exactly what you're buying. Just another option for purist collectors.

Best Regards,

Bill