[meteorite-list] CR Chondrites

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 24 14:19:57 2004

Hello Tom and List,

I've told you at least once before and I am telling you once again:
Please, stop imparting a feeling of inferiority to yourself and don't
keep telling the world that you are what you call "stupid". Just think
of your falcons - they are proud, majestic creatures even though they
don't know anything about meteorites. Ignorance is one thing, stupidity
another and it has many different facets as we all know so well ;-)

As for CR meteorites, here is a slightly shortened version from NORTON O.R.
(1998) Rocks From Space II, p. 195: "CR chondrites ... contain about 10 % by
weight iron-nickel metal and iron sulfide. The metal content is the most easily
distinguished characteristic. The metal is found in the fine-grained matrix and
as inclusions in the chondrules. Roughly 50 percent of the meteorite is relatively
large chondrules (0.027-inch average diameter) and chondrule fragments."

O.R. Norton's descriptive explanation is not *too* technical and good enough
as a first approach. I would only add that more often than not CR chondrules
are surrounded by a metallic rim, in other words they are armored. One might
also add that, although they do not look "carbonaceous" at first sight, they
are considered members of this group because their compositions are similar
to those of the carbonaceous chondrites.

Best wishes,

Bernd (still in love with his gorgeous, cut 7.23-gram CR2
crusted endpiece purchased from Dean in May of 2003)