[meteorite-list] Political Ramblings and Collection Habits

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 26 11:21:31 2004

> political ramblings are no place for this list.

.. because this will automatically split this haunted place
into at least two opposing factions mirroring the election
results in the USA.

> no one should be in this just for profit or
> investment, buy something you love ...

I have never considered my meteorite collection a financial investment.
The opposite is true, ... my meteorite collection absorbs a lot of money.
Its absolute (objective?) value would presently amount to several 10,000
dollars but if I ever intended to sell it, I would probably get no more
than 1/3 this sum or even less (rule of thumb for stamps when I was a
serious and passionate collector).

Collectibles lose their inherent charm as soon as
we see the money first like Uncle Scrooge does :-)

That was also the case when I started selling some of my rarer stamps many
years ago. As soon as I saw in them a potential source of making money, the
joy, the charm these little works of art imparted was gone for good.

Best regards,

Bernd