[meteorite-list] Introducing NWA 3133, A Fantastic New Meteorite

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 12 20:58:31 2004

Dear List,

I would like to take this opportunity to announce NWA 3133, a one-of-a-kind
Anomalous Primitive Achondrite found this year in the Sahara desert. Some
may ask: OK, another Primitive Achondrite -- What is the big deal? First of
all, primitive achondrites are more rare than planetary meteorites and
anomalous specimens are among the rarest. Let me tell you the history of
this material first and then try to explain its importance.

NWA 3133 was first thought to be either a brachinite or a recrystallized
chondrite prompting the two laboratories, Northern Arizona University and
the University of Washington, to seek oxygen isotope testing, a way to
determine its final classification. A specimen was submitted to the
University of Western Ontario for this very purpose. The results were
received in June and they plotted so far away from any known achondrite that
one scientist had to ask, "How is this possible?" The results were so
outrageous and potentially significant that it was decided to send out a
second specimen for confirmation. The second specimen was sent blind to the
Geophysical Laboratory in Washington D.C. for analysis. The results
confirmed the important findings at the University of Western Ontario: NWA
3133 oxygen isotopes plot way further away from the Earth-Moon line than any
known achondrite including NWA 011.

Link to oxygen Isotope chart:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa3133/nwa3133.jpg

The oxygen isotope data for NWA 3133 plot directly on the mixing line for
CV3 chondrites including the most studied meteorite in the world, Allende.
A lot is known about CV type chondrites and equally substantial, a lot is
not known. Scientists have been deliberating for a long time about
carbonaceous chondrites and their parent bodies. This meteorite can serve
to answer century-old questions like: Are CV chondrites really a regolith
from a broken small planet-sized parent body? Was the original CV parent
body differentiated with a metal core surrounded by a silicate-rich mantle
and a chondrule-rich regolith? This specimen could give researchers the
opportunity to study the inner workings of a failed small planet and is
already causing a commotion among world-renowned scientists even before it
has been formally announced.

Here are a few comments made by scientists in regards to NWA 3133:

"Am I jaded or what? I'm ignoring two new pieces of Mars and getting so
worked up over pieces of a probably long-destroyed planetary body that may
never be found in space. But I can guarantee the deepest interest in an
isotope map of its extreme range of heterogeneity and, maybe a new advance
in understanding the inner workings of small planets!"

"This could be a very significant study and combined with your plans for
additional isotope work, would probably result in a classic!"

"Thanks for the opportunity to work on these amazing rocks!!!"

"NWA 3133 could be regarded as the first known CV7 Chondrite, and may have
been formed by metamorphic recrystallization (or perhaps by igneous
processes) in the CV parent body."

The scientific importance of this new meteorite cannot be overstated. More
than 60 grams have already been provided as type specimens to two different
institutions, at this point tripling the NomCom required amount. Three
different stones totaling 2,373 grams belong to the NWA 3133 designation.
All three of these specimens will be confirmed with oxygen isotopes before
release, rightfully insuring their pedigree. This is a very important step
needed to insure the provenance because there are other meteorites like
brachinites and other primitive achondrites that could visually be mistaken
for the real thing. If you see a specimen that does not come with an ID
card identifying it as coming from "The Hupe Collection", then it is not NWA
3133, plain and simple. Some dealers have been engaging in number borrowing
without having their samples authenticated by a NomCom authorized
laboratory, so be sure to ask for documents proving that their material was
submitted for study and is official when considering any rare meteorite from
Northwest Africa. I make this statement now so that you know we are
offering the real McCoy. This new meteorite is just too important to let
the numbers game possibly slide on into the future on this one, as has
happened in the past on other substantial Saharan finds. We collect main
masses so the largest piece will remain in our collection. A portion was
set aside to hopefully satisfy the collectors' market. When NWA 3133 is
formally announced we are sure that trade offers will be accepted from
institutions locking down the rest.

Copyright Meteoritelab 2004

To see NWA 3133 and other official items of interest please click on the
link below and go to "Go see all current items for sale by this member." The
weekly rare material specials are always listed last so you will have to go
to the bottom of the list.

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=meteoritelab

Thank you for looking and if you are bidding, good luck

Kind Regards,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock