[meteorite-list] The Relic and Some Images

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 28 20:26:15 2004

Dear List Members,

I have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer. First off, I
purchased this relic about seven years ago from a person who deals in
African artifacts. I was told the following:

It came from a South African tribe who fashioned it in the 1700s.

Natives witnessed a fireball, saw a "thunderstone" hit the ground and built
this vessel for it.

They carved the main part of this relic out of wood and hand hammered out
the iron accessories using possible pieces of an iron meteorite (Gibeon?)

Since this stone was witnessed to have came from the sky they anchored it
using two wrought iron or meteoritic iron straps so that it would not get
away.

They depicted the fireball event by portraying the bolide using splayed
metal spikes run through nuts.

It was used for ceremonies by the tribal shaman who claimed it had the most
powerful magic the tribe had ever experienced but the stone was not given
time to recharge itself because it was called upon too many times to perform
its magic. It has a wrought iron chain and places where feathers could be
attached so I do believe it was used for ceremonies. Here are some images:

Side view:
http://themeteoritesite.com/RelicSideView.jpg
Another side view:
http://themeteoritesite.com/RelicLayingSide.jpg
Top view showing trapped meteorite?:
http://themeteoritesite.com/RelicTopView.jpg
Close-up of suspected meteorite:
http://themeteoritesite.com/CloseupofMeteorite.jpg
Bottom view showing wrought iron work:
http://themeteoritesite.com/BottomView.jpg
Close-up of tribal artisan's conception of fireball:
http://themeteoritesite.com/Bolide.jpg
Another Close-up:
http://themeteoritesite.com/Bolide2.jpg

I do not know anything about African artifacts so if anybody knows anything
about this piece or similar examples I would like to hear about it. It does
look like an achondrite with the crust worn off in areas from being touched
so many times. I am sure it is a genuine relic and would like to
authenticate the meteorite but do not want to damage it in anyway by trying
to pry the stone out. I do not believe in superstition but for some reason
I cannot draw myself to remove the stone and have it examined. This could
represent a very old witnessed fall so any advice would be appreciated.

All the best.

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock