[meteorite-list] Re: Magneto

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 7 17:55:09 2004

Hola Dave,

If the word "paramagnetic" were cool in ordinary language all
would be fine I guess. So instead, we have to go around
tediously saying "responds or attracted to a magnet" when we
really need to be specific. And then we could say "Pasamonte
is paramagnetic." instead of "Pasamonte responds to a magnet
but is not a magnet itself." in the passive voice to be clear
about this when necessary.

Hey, that's not such a bad meteorite hunting kit,

COMPASS, Is it a Compass AU 2000 that works at 14 kHz?
http://www.compassmetaldetectors.com/prospecting.htm
(I guess not)

NAMETAG, We can use the name tag to write Mom our whereabouts,
so at least someone knows if we are abducted by aliens or
otherwise disappear on meteorite hunting trips.

PAPERCLIP, The paper clip would be an adecuate fork or fishing hook in an emergency, and the string an Ok shoelace
replacement for or "in a bind".

BREAD, The stack of stale bread is a good idea since it won't
spoil, and thus doubles as food and a sophisticated biological
meteorite detector (crunch it up, the ants might lead you to
an anthill 5 miles away laced with meteorite grains and
spheroids).

How much are you getting for them? Meteorite hunting kits are
like powdered milk anyway. Still got to add the water. As for the need for GPS, give me a $5 topo map I can mark up with a pencil any day.

You might consider advertising in comic books and in the
National Inquirer, and maybe Popular Mechanics. My friend
answered one of those Charlie Atlas get big and strong ads
once and he said they sent him a phone book with instructions
to tear it in half. Just think, everyone that feels robbed
might learn quickly about magnetism.

An if you magnetize the bottom of your iron vehicle chasis you
will indeed have a Niningermobile original...which will also
probably get you meteorite fame and fortune,,(Would the
ignition coil still work?!) Peace, love & meteorites to all,
Doug

Dave Freeman escribe:

Mmm.....well, when I go for a drive next time, I'll be very sure to take
a good compass to help in my magnetic search, and to double check the
bottom of my car and 4 wheeler to see how many of your magnetic
meteorites and other magnetic rocks are stuck to my suspension! It is
bad enough to pay a high price for fuel without transporting a whole
bunch of rocks stuck to my car frame.

FOR SALE: DAVE'S METEORITE DETECTOR KIT.
1 COMPASS
1 PAPER CLIP ON STRING WITH SAFETY PIN
1 PAPER NAME TAG FOR MOM TO WRITE NAME ON.
1 SACK OF STALE BREAD FOR LEAVING CRUMBS TO HELP LOCATE ONESELF
IN THE BLURRY TIME OF MAGNETIC STREWNFIELDS!

That must explain how the Nevada Magnetite strewn field was discovered
over 5 miles away! The compass told them! ;-)

Kits available at Denver Show.
Dave (with the string thing)