[meteorite-list] Letter from Jeff Grossman concerning NWA 1110 andpairings

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 9 16:52:04 2004

The NomCom is trying to prevent confusion and chaos. By approving the name
NWA 1110 we are certifying that experts have looked at the original mass of
material and classified it correctly. If you buy it or borrow a specimen
for research, you can be fairly sure of what you are getting. If
nonexperts take responsibility for making pairing decisions, soon names
could become meaningless as lots of errors would occur (for various reasons
that you might imagine). NWA 869 is a perfect example of what can happen
when shortcuts are taken... who knows what this material is? The result of
not following our guidelines would be that meteorite names become worthless.

I don't think this is the result most of us want. We really do try to do
what's best for everybody!

jeff