[meteorite-list] Letter from Jeff Grossman concerning NWA 1110 andpairings

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 9 16:57:44 2004

Hi Mark,

I too have problems with some of the Nomenclature Committee's decisions, but I will respect them. I generally agree with your logical arguments. But when you say you give them your respect and that they are only responsible for "guidelines," though, that is not true in my opinion. Respecting them to me means adhering to their decisions. Their decisions are not guidelines. Their decisions are the official names of all named meteorites, period.

They offer guidelines for "proposed names", but leave no wiggle room for official names, or for Doug to deviate whenever it is convenient for him, or when he wants to because he thinks he is more qualified to name a meteorite than they are. I am sure their decisions are not easy ones, and just because we can sit here in front of our PCs criticizing them with good reason and touching a nerve we are all frustrated with every once in a while, any other name is unofficial. If you want to be practical about it, instead of supporting anarchy by introducing uncertainty into the meaning of MetSoc system, and setting everything up for a bigger mess than we already have, for others to be inspired then to push it further than you are comfortable, I think we should respect (adhere) to their names, and simply explain what we (well, sellers, since I have never sold any) are selling if the official name does not apply. Is it really unfair to ask a seller interested in maintaining the highest standards of authenticity an
d using the Met Soc naming scheme as a foundation, to simply admit it is paired, tell us when they make an assumption by saying "probably" or it was found in the locality? Why is this such a stumbling block, please tell me where I am confused.

Thanks to Jeff Grossman for bothering to comment here. I appreciate greatly his swimming in the caldron with us. Can't accuse the NomCom of being Snooty. Just alledge unsuccessfully that they are out of touch on some items. Now what does the IMCA have to say? (The sound of silence)

Saludos, Doug