[meteorite-list] Paring......Continued.

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 9 17:36:47 2004

Doug wrote, "I too have problems with some of the Nomenclature Committee's
decisions, but I will respect them. I generally agree with your logical
arguments. But when you say you give them your respect and that they are
only responsible for "guidelines," though, that is not true in my opinion.
Respecting them to me means adhering to their decisions. Their decisions are
not guidelines. Their decisions are the official names of all named
meteorites, period."

I do not think you can find an example of me, not "adhering to their
decisions."

Doug continued, "If you want to be practical about it, instead of supporting
anarchy by introducing uncertainty into the meaning of MetSoc system, and
setting everything up for a bigger mess than we already have, for others to
be inspired then to push it further than you are comfortable, I think we
should respect (adhere) to their names, and simply explain what we (well,
sellers, since I have never sold any) are selling if the official name does
not apply."

I do not think I am supporting anarchy, by stating the same meteorite is the
same meteorite. I have not paired any NWA 1068, nor do I pair meteorites,
nor have I sold any of the NWA 1068 meteorite, nor do I plan to. I sell
Moroccans and NWA 869's and Micromounts of others I have cut up. The
problems with NWA 869, I am not sure what that would be. The meteorite
certainly has had enough of it submitted as type specimens and one would
think it has been classified enough times.

My point was quite simple, there is nothing we can do to stop, the next
"CK4" from being marketed the way "Bensour" and the "CR2's" was. Does
anyone know the total weight of either is? Was there anything I could have
done to change that? I think the answer on both of these is no. Is that a
problem. No, I don't think so. It's part of the territory. Can anyone tell
me the total weight of Gold Basin or Tulia (a)?

Now, the Hupes have paired many NWA's themselves, so I think it funny they
are upset when one of theirs is paired.

It would be nice if all of the NWA's were classified. I just don't think
that is going to happen, and I see no reason that the "CK4" should be
classified by 10 different people. But the next "CK4" is going to come
along. And it will be sold by several dealers.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com