[meteorite-list] Sale - Howardite Blow Out

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 23 15:39:09 2004

Hi Mike and List,

This seems to be a very touchy subject so I will address it in general. I
feel that if a pairing is suspected the following should happen:

A proper sized specimen should be liberated from the suspected pairing.

The primary or secondary type specimen should be submitted to an authorized
laboratory. The reason I use the term primary or secondary is because a
pairing has not yet been established.

A NomCom approved scientist should then submit classification data for
consideration. If a pairing is suspected this should be included in the
data.

And finally, it should be voted on to make it official.

We submit a sample from almost every suspected achondrite unless found in
fragmental form. Several unpaired and rare specimens have come from
sticking to this standard. A few examples are:

A stone thought to be a Howardite turned out to be a much rarer Polymict
Diogenite (NWA 1648). A Howardite was found mixed into a batch of NWA 1109
(Polymict Eucrite). The examples go on and on. If somebody is not willing
to submit examples for study they should make it clear that their specimens
are unofficial.

All the best,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection