[meteorite-list] Howardite Blow Out

From: Rob Wesel <nakhladog_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 23 15:28:54 2004

OK, please allow me to change the description from PAIRED to "Likely
Paired", as deemed acceptable in Mr. Grossman's email last week:

" It is acceptable and routine, however, for people to make statements
indicating that various numbered stones may be paired (although I would be
cautious about believing such statements unless they appear in the Bulletin
or other scientific publications)."

I did, in fact, acquire these from Edwin Thompson and pieces have been
donated to Cascadia Meteorite Lab. Edwin is out of town and I don't know if
official pairing has been done, or will be, by Cascadia.

It has been clearly, and rationally, discussed today that:

1) There is always more material out there that gets trickled out through
Berbers finding more or middlemen holding back.

2) No lab is going to classify every piece that trickles out.

3) NWA naming is going to be a mess for a very long time as supply exceeds
demand. NWA 801, 859, 869, 1929, 1866, 1877.....

Even with 1110 we run into the fact that only a few of them went through
appropriate testing to prove a planetary origin, the rest were analyzed on
sight.

Sorry for the confusion in using "paired", likely paired it is. Not sorry
for reopening the worms though, visual pairing is common practice in every
other geographical location save for Antarctica and the fact that NWA, the
most prolific meteorite source of our day, is the only area constrained by
this convention leaves far more questions than answers. For now, if the
NomCom is OK with "likely paired" then so am I and I should have used that
wording from the start.

Please note, that the material soon to be on my website is fully classified.

Rob Wesel