[meteorite-list] Sale - Howardite Blow Out

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 24 04:11:05 2004

Hi,

This is a great discussion, very interesting.

As was brought up by me and others last time round, it's all very well
having information about the origins and history of a piece, but it just
never gets passed on!!!

I still think a lot of the problems would be solved if we had a standard
record card for each piece that follows the piece around, and if it's
cut the card is copied so each new piece gets its own card which
contains the original information about the parent specimens
history/origins.

I'm sorry, but when your paying $50+ a gram for something, you are
entitled to know something about the origins of the piece! Who would buy
a diamond without knowing it was real, or buy gold without a gold
hallmark? Some meteorite material is even more valuable and yet we know
nothing about where it came from!

I've bought Lunar slices from well respected dealers that arrived in
nothing more than a small plastic bag, with not even the number written
on, that's simply an appalling situation in my book!

C'mon guys n Girls we live in a world where people are faking
everything, the last thing we want is for total trust to break down in
the meteorite world, and im afraid it's heading that way, slowly but
surley. Shirokovsky was a wake up call, and it won't be the last I'm
sure, let's make sure confidence prevails!

Best

Mark Ford