[meteorite-list] Numbering Meteorites

From: Bernhard <rendelius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 24 06:30:55 2004

I have written my own Access application to keep records of my
meteorites. They are numbered in order of their aquisition, with a
prefix for my collection.

A part of them is on exhibition, a part is stored away. Those pieces
stored away are put into zipbags with the inventory number, the name and
weight written on the bag, just in case the database gets corupted :-).
Those pieces on exhibition are put into boxes, with a sticker on the
bottom of the box displaying the inventory number and the name. A second
sticker on the box shows the name of the item.

For each and every meteorite I add to my collection, I keep records of
Inventory number, Name, weight, if it is an individual, partslice,
fragment and so on, the visual quality of the piece, that date of
purchase, the seller, the price and which status the piece is in
(purchased, paid, in exhibition, in depot, for sale, sold). In addition,
I have a picture of every specimen in the database. The collection
database is matched with a general meteorite database for class,
geographical data and so on.

Information overkill? Maybe, but this way I can see which pieces belong
to certain class, where pieces are, what I have to ask for when selling
and much more.

  _____

Best regards,
Bernhard "Rendelius" Rems

CEO RPGDot Network

This outgoing mail has been virus-checked.