[meteorite-list] What great hobby!! + microwaves to detectmeteorites?

From: Maria Haas <dragonsoup_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Apr 12 14:03:14 2005

Frankly, I don't know what it was but it definitely wasn't a meteorite (or
magnetite). I save most of my really good looking "wrongs" to remind me not
to pick them up again.

I have tried dragging one magnet from each hip and unless you walk in
absolutely straight lines and bend over perfectly straight, you end up
dragging one magnetic mess that snags every piece of loose dead foliage you
encounter. Also, there are small risks dragging even one.

Do you know what being "clotheslined" is? It's where you don't see a wire,
string, or similar something that is strung about neck high. You walk into
it (or drive a dirt bike through it...different story) and it kind of trips
you from your head instead of your feet.

Sometimes the magnet you drag catches little branches and weeds and it's not
a big deal. One day I was walking along and the top half of my body was
violently pulled back - just like I was clotheslined. I was not hurt but I
was reeeally surprised. When I turned around and saw what my magnet was
attached to I thought I was just really wound up in a little branch. I
pulled and pulled. I had been clotheslined by a lone piece of fence sticking
up in the middle of a field! I got a good laugh out of it and had others
been watching, they would have too.

Anyway, I'm kinda past how stupid I look in my quest. This year one of my
farmers is letting me put magnets on strings to drag behind his plow. He has
never spent much time clearing his land of rocks so this may be interesting.
Now while we may just pick up all those tractor parts he's lost over the
years, we may also hit a jackpot.

Maria