[meteorite-list] Emil Cohen's Market trends of 1899

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Apr 13 16:58:42 2005

Bernd kindly wrote:

Yes, I can very well relate to those days. The arrival of a new sales
> list from David New was eagerly awaited and opening the mail was like
> opening an Xmas present. David's letters usually started with a report
> on the weather conditions in Anacortes, Washington :-)

Boy, those were the days. I remember coming home from work, checking
the mail anything from David New or Blaine Reed. If there was a letter
from David, I tore it open dialed David's number. No doubt in the time
it took for the call to go through, I had found something. In the event
that the line was busy, I just knew that someone else in the world
(probably Bernd!) was at that very moment buying the specimen I wanted.

If I had a few minutes, I would quickly sketch out the size and
thickness of the pieces on the list. Scraps of paper around my house
were filled with drawings of slices, all to help me imagine what the
piece looked like. Bit of a difference now with email and the internet,
eh?

In Kevin's book (see the post just two or three before this one), he
interviewed David and has a photograph of him.

David was one-of-a-kind. Those of us who ventured into meteorites under
his wing are forever thankful. It is a different world today and,
frankly, I don't know how someone new to meteorite collecting would
find their way.

As the human-made controversies ebb and flow on this List, I can always
remember back to the good old days. Sure there was much less material,
no NWAs, and worse, nobody to talk to about meteorites. But in my
opinion, the the focus was always on meteorites. I miss that.

Cheers,

Martin H