[meteorite-list] Largest Meteorite Collection

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 21 17:25:54 2005

Hi All,

I really believe that one must not try to evaluate a collection's rank
based upon market values. The reason is that when dealing with the
large collections (those that rank in the top 10 or 25 private
collections) many of the pieces could arguably be one-of-a-kind, or the
only piece outside institutional collections. Or even the only piece
period. Applying general market trends does not work. If you do not
believe this, then I suspect you have not experienced the exchange of
such pieces. It is a whole different world than the usual dealer/ebay
experience. And it is not for the faint-of-heart.

Historically, falls have always been more valuable than finds for
numerous reasons. And I think those same reasons are just as valid
today.

As far as NWA, I merely excluded them from my schemes, not from the
ranking meteorite collections. I just did not spend the time trying to
figure out what about them is quantifiable given so many unknowns with
respect to their discovery. If you have a scheme, I'm all ears. But I
will disagree with you if NWAs are treated the same as other finds.

Brahin? Good point. Add it to the list of pallasites to exclude.
Anything else?

Cheers,

Martin