[meteorite-list] Largest Meteorite Collection

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 21 17:43:31 2005

>As far as NWA, I merely excluded them from my schemes, not from the ranking
>meteorite collections. I just did not spend the time trying to figure out
>what about them is quantifiable given so many unknowns with respect to
>their discovery. If you have a scheme, I'm all ears. But I will disagree
>with you if NWAs are treated the same as other finds.

but why should they be exculded?
you could argue that the TKW of an NWA might not be easily fixed - with
apired stones and newly discovered material comming up for sale at later
dates - but then again, do you know with any certainty how much allende,
murchison, gibeon, sikote alin, or even park forest is in existance?

you might argue that one really might not know where an nwa came from int
erms of physical impart site - but thats why they are given numbers
associated with a dense colelcting area - but when all is said and done -
does it really matter where the stone fell? a gold bar falling out of the
sky is worth just as much per ounce if it lands in algeria as it does if it
lands in arizona...