[meteorite-list] Franconia Field Trip

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Apr 27 21:32:30 2005

Hello Larry, List.

I am coming late to the table but I was looking through those wonderful
photos today. I noticed recent/new vegetation growing from under a
couple of the stones. If these were still in situ, doesn't this suggest
a recent fall? Or a fall within the lifetime of the underlying plant?
Seems to me if a sprout was lying under a stone and had gone under one
side and out another this would indicate not more than one growing
season as a plant will follow the top of an obstruction as it emerges.
Intuitively, the sprout would have had to been in place before the stone
landed atop of it. Ergo-- one growing season, give or take.

Is there a forensic botanist here with more insight or another opinion?

Elton