[meteorite-list] Astronomers to Decide What Makes a Planet

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 22:14:05 2005

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:39:49 -0500, AL Mitterling <almitt_at_kconline.com> wrote:

>Hi Tom and all,
>
>In Reality Pluto wasn't named after the cartoon character, rather it was
>a name picked out by the discover (and staff at Lowell) and having
>something to do with the afterlife. I'm not sure if the Dog Pluto was
>well know or even around at that time in 1930. This is a misconception
>by many.

http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC040725/disneycharacters.htm

"Pluto the dog made his first appearance as a bloodhound in 1930. Later that year he starred as
Minnie?s dog Rover in ?The Picnic?, and finally became Mickey?s dog Pluto in ?The Moose Hunt?. There
were 48 Pluto cartoons, and he also appeared in many others with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Pluto
is an actual dog, with no ability to speak or stand upright"